Skip to content
BreakingInvestigations

Israeli Authorities Let Settlers Pray Openly at Al-Aqsa, Breaking Decades-Old Prayer Ban

Police confirm Jewish worshippers entered the mosque compound with prayer books on explicit orders from political leadership, a shift from quietly tolerated raids to sanctioned ritual.

By Occupation Watch··2 min read
PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB

Source: The New Arab · published August 18, 2026

Israeli police allowed Jewish settlers to enter Al-Aqsa Mosque on Sunday and openly perform prayers with siddurim, prayer books, on explicit instructions from the political leadership. It's a shift that Palestinian officials and Islamic Waqf representatives say marks a sharp escalation from years of quietly tolerated settler incursions.

For years, far-right activists have stormed the Al-Aqsa compound under police protection, but were officially barred from bringing prayer books or performing visible rituals. That barrier fell on Sunday.

Confirmed by police and a minister

Israeli police told Haaretz that worshippers were permitted to bring in prayer books in line with orders from political leadership. National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, who has overseen years of expanding settler access to the site, confirmed the same to The Jerusalem Post. This is not a fringe claim or a disputed allegation. It is confirmed by the police force enforcing it and the minister who ordered it.

Settler activist Arnon Segal posted photos of the event to X, describing it as "an initial experiment aimed at ensuring the Middle East doesn't lose its mind over this," and predicting a fuller permit would follow. The photos show worshippers praying and laying towels on the ground, consistent with full prostrations, a ritual gesture far beyond the quiet, discreet movement settlers have previously been restricted to at the site.

What the Status Quo actually says

The legal and religious framework governing Jerusalem's holy sites, known as the Status Quo, reserves Al-Aqsa exclusively for Muslim worship. Jews are permitted to pray at the Western Wall, known as the Buraq Wall. That arrangement has held, at least on paper, since it was formalized generations ago.

In practice, Israeli authorities have allowed the boundary to erode for years, permitting escorted settler visits while nominally banning overt prayer. Sunday's episode removes even that fig leaf. Palestinian officials and Waqf representatives describe it as a departure from the pattern of tacit tolerance into open, state-sanctioned religious provocation.

Why it matters

Ben-Gvir has spent years pushing exactly this outcome. He has openly supported settler raids on the compound and called for annexing the entire occupied West Bank. His ministry now controls the police force that just authorized what Segal himself called an "experiment," a trial run for wider permission to come.

That matters because Al-Aqsa is not simply a religious flashpoint. It is one of the most volatile sites in the world, and changes to worship arrangements there have triggered mass unrest and violence before. Segal's own words, that this is designed to avoid the region "losing its mind," acknowledge the stakes even as settlers push forward anyway.

Occupation Watch will continue tracking whether Sunday's episode becomes policy or remains an isolated test, and how Palestinian authorities, the Waqf, and international bodies respond.

Further Documentation

PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB
PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB
PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB
PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB
PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB
PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB
PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB
PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB
PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB
PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB
PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB
PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB
PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB
PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB
PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB
PHOTO: THE NEW ARAB

Sources & Documentation

  1. Israel gives open permission for settlers to pray at al-AqsaThe New Arab